FAST Legal Advisory Group (FLAG)
With a 25 year heritage, FLAG is one of FAST’s longest standing membership groups. Boasting a membership community of many highly respected international legal firms it primarily acts as an advisory group to FAST and its members on the topic of Intellectual Property protection.
FLAG offers a forum and legal community for Intellectual Property (IP) debates and issues, as well as a trusted advisor and escalation route to FAST members on legal issues.
Access to FLAG events and hosting of legal seminars including:
- Industry leadership FLAG meetings (at least three per calendar year) with agendas that focus on topical IP issues from industry luminaries and leaders. Continuous Professional Development (CPD) accredited.
- Speaker opportunities at FAST events over the period of membership aligned to FAST events calendar, such as the FAST “Software Stay Legal” events for Law Enforcement together with Trading Standards.
- The prospect of hosting meetings/events with members of the FAST community.
- Access to the annual FAST event (previously hosted at the Palace of Westminster).
- Business development opportunities from FAST exclusively for FLAG members as trusted advisors:
- FAST Enforcement Programme and membership legal referrals. Client opportunities which arise that require expertise of outside counsel – referrals are made to FLAG members as appropriate.
- FAST members may also require chargeable support that extends beyond any membership allocation – these are referred to FLAG members.
- FLAG members are encouraged to offer a promotional fee rate to secure instructions from FAST members.
- Input and appropriate participation or association with the FAST Parliamentary Lobbying Programme that aims to enhance the law for the software industry and to address IP enforcement issues:
- Deterrent Damages: To dissuade infringement of IP rights.
- Representative Rights for FAST under Article 4 Enforcement Directive 2004/48/EC
- Accountability: Push for liability of company directors/managers if personally neglectful of illegal software use.
- Assistance to Law Enforcement agencies with retaining and improving investigation powers.
- Appreciation of IP valuations.
- Awareness to FAST members’ communities of potential changes to statute law of interest.
- Invitation to participate with newsworthy legal content via the following outreach methods:
- Regular communication to 20,000 UK business connections.
- The FAST database of 5,000 in-house legal contacts.
- Members’ communication to 500 subscribers of IPWrites.
- Brand association with FAST. Right to use the FAST logo on media content and papers, which can also be published and distributed by FAST. Resulting acknowledgement as trusted legal advisor.
- Via our website FLAG database of members; the potential for commercial connections.
- FAST have a formal liaison and relationship with the US based SIIA (Software & Information Industry Association) which may broker US based connections for legal and policy engagements.
- Influence officials and other stakeholders in the making of good law and policy. Since its inception, FLAG has contributed to numerous consultations issued by various Governments dating back to the Copyright (Computer Software) Amendment Act 1985.
- Opportunities to secure profile with the various FAST communities; software publishers, software asset management experts, end users and cloud service providers.
- Thought leadership: the opportunity to participate in forums that explore emerging technologies and topical subjects e.g. virtualisation, software as a service, open source and cloud computing. Members may produce thought leadership papers for distribution via the outreach activities listed above.
- Actively encouraged to participate in increasing a firm’s media profile in the market through engagement with the FAST social media groups. FAST have a very proactive media outreach and frequently require media input and commentary further enhancing the position as industry experts.
External Relationships include: Cloud Industry Forum (CIF), Intellect, and Intellectual Property Awareness Network (IPAN), Trading Standards, Information Commissioners’ Office and the Intellectual Property Office.
International Reach: FAST and the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) in North America retain mutual memberships.